Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Welcome

Welcome. This is my first time blogging.

The primary purpose of this blog is to explain in greater detail my current position on various issues as the City Commissioner serving Ward 5 in Albany, Georgia. If you are curious where I stand on an issue or you want to understand why I voted a certain way, come here.

The secondary purpose of this blog is to improve my service to the citizens of Albany by obtaining your input. This cannot be a primary purpose because, let's face it, only a very small percentage of my constituents will ever see this blog. Who really has the time? I cannot base my political decisions SOLELY on the postings of the few folks who make their way here. This is a learning tool -- for you AND me.

Also, there is no way to limit comments on this blog to merely Ward 5 constituents. The entire world can see this. Anyone can leave a comment here...a curious kid in Iowa, a grad student in Berlin, or the most despicable person you have ever met in your life. Thus, as the site moderator, I will review comments before posting, and edit out inappropriate material.

My initial rule of thumb is that content needs to be acceptable for publication in The Albany Herald (excluding some of the adult ads in the sports section). My 8 year old reads the Herald sports section every day. Content here needs to be just as safe. I don't care if it puts him to sleep. I just don't want him exposed to any more nastiness and hatred than he already gets reading about professional athletes. The content of your comments should take into consideration that he might read it over my shoulder and that my dear mother may surf here from time to time.

I pledge to do my best to post comments constituting a fair balance of pros, cons, questions, and concerns.

Since I am new to blogging, I am going to need my wife’s help. She’s more familiar with Blogspot, so I am going to begin blogging here. I may eventually wind up moving this site to http://www.boblangstaff.wordpress.com/, but I will let you know if I do and all postings will be transferred over. Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

Mary Ligon said...

Bob,
I appreciate the time you are taking to inform us through this blog and I look forward to reading more about your thought process and positions on issues. This is a great tool for exchange of information.
Thanks,
Mary Ligon